The Dental Surgery Assistant (DSA) is a valued member of the oral health team. The Dental Surgery Assistant takes on a significant responsibility and greatly increases the efficiency and the productivity of the dental surgeon in the delivery of quality oral health care.
Some of the tasks of a DSA include:
- Assisting the dental operator by pre-assessing the need for the procedure, holding and passing instruments.
- Retracting tissues and suctioning to assist better vision of the operating field.
- Retrieving, setting up and laying out dental equipment and dental instruments.
- Mixing materials.
- Sterilizing dental instruments and equipment.
- Developing dental radiographs.
- Charting for the dental operator.
- Exposing radiographs.
- Fabrication bleaching trays.
- In-office bleaching.
- Applying sealants.
MAHSA University College offers a certificate course that is to the standard and quality of the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA). The training is professionally supervised in clinics equipped with state of the art facilities, complete with up to date curriculum, modern equipments and a conducive study environment. The course will produce competent DSA’s who are competent in chair side assisting, patient management, with good clinical and communication skills.
This 2-year course is taught via Tutorials, Lectures, Seminars, Problem Based Learning (PBLs), Simulation clinics, Clinical visits to external clinics. The main objective of the course is to produce DSA’s with the highest level of clinical assisting skills, possess current knowledge, act with professionalism, are effective communicators, are of good conduct, efficient, ethical and safe.